From Basics to Advanced: What to Expect in a Global Supply Chain & Logistics Management Online ProgramJanuary 19, 2024
The supply chain is an advanced and interconnected network that begins with raw materials and ends with a finished product that can be purchased by consumers. Defined as a chain due to the numerous links in the system, the supply chain is an interconnected entity that must flow seamlessly to reduce costs, expedite production times and improve customer satisfaction ratings.
As a result, the demand for trained and qualified supply chain managers is on the rise — with organizations particularly focused on finding professionals with an advanced understanding of global logistics and supply chain management.
If you are looking to pursue a career in this fast-paced, evolving field, you may want to consider enrolling in an online supply chain management course or global supply chain management degree program.
Uncovering the World of Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Global logistics and supply chain management are separate fields that are closely related. In logistics, professionals are focused on efficiently managing goods and services, with their primary goal being to preserve product quality and expedite processing times. On the other hand, supply chain management is the network that begins with raw materials and works toward production, manufacturing and distribution, ultimately ensuring that products reach consumers in a fast and affordable way.
While there are distinct differences, it’s clear that the two fields must work in tandem to ensure consumers can readily purchase the high-quality products they crave. It’s the only way the global economy can continue to move forward.
What Is Global Supply Chain Management?
Global supply chain management refers to the optimization of the supply chain on a global scale. While there are individual supply chains within local communities and countries, there’s also a larger, much more complex supply chain that exists on a global scale. Understanding the links of the global supply chain and knowing how to manage them effectively is critical to preserving the health and strength of the global economy.
According to ProLogis, global supply chain management is one of the most pivotal disciplines of 21st-century business, with the success of both small and local businesses and large corporations depending upon an effective and efficient global supply chain.
The Role of a Global Supply Chain Manager
Global supply chain managers are specialized business professionals who focus on developing and implementing advanced supply chain strategies on an international scale.
According to Zippia, the responsibilities of a global supply chain manager include:
- Securing materials from the leading suppliers around the world and negotiating the best possible price.
- Managing inventory.
- Verifying that all suppliers are complying with safety standards and local regulations.
- Collecting supply chain data and evaluating performance.
- Identifying inefficiencies within the supply chain and addressing them.
- Ensuring all products meet or exceed quality standards.
What to Expect From a Supply Chain Management Course
A digital education in supply chain is possible thanks to the availability of online global supply chain and logistics management programs. Whether you have already earned a degree in supply chain management or are enrolling in a certification program to specialize within your field, an online learning program can help you advance your career in supply chain and logistics.
E-learning for supply chain professionals can be completed on your own time, allowing you to effectively balance your existing priorities with professional development. Including both synchronous and asynchronous components, you are sure to enjoy a well-rounded and engaging experience that allows you to develop and improve practical skills in logistics.
The topics covered as part of your online global logistics and supply chain management program may vary, but some topics commonly discussed include:
- The current trends shaping the global supply chain.
- Best global supply chain practices.
- The basics of logistics management.
- Inventory control techniques.
- Advanced logistics and distribution management.
- Competitive globalization and its impact on the supply chain.
- Supply chain risks.
- The most influential stakeholders in the global supply chain.
An online logistics training program will provide you with in-depth, expert-level knowledge of global logistics and supply chain management while building your practical logistics skills. It’s an ideal professional development opportunity for anyone who wants to specialize in supply chain management.
Skill development is a key component of any online certification course or online degree program. Your supply chain management course curriculum will likely emphasize the following practical logistics skills:
- Data harvesting
- Data analysis
- Supply chain and global logistics technology
- Project management
This combination of hard and soft skills should help you feel confident and ready to dive into your role within the global logistics and supply chain management sector.
Coursework that is required to complete an online certification may include:
- Video lectures and slideshow presentations.
- Collaborative projects with classmates that can be completed virtually.
- Studying from textbooks and other online course materials.
- Data collection and analysis to develop practical logistics skills.
Students who opt into online learning programs appreciate that they can balance their required coursework with existing responsibilities. Online learning in logistics is considered incredibly accessible, and a viable option for anyone looking to specialize or advance their career in supply chain management.
Benefits of Earning a Global Supply Chain Management Degree
You may enjoy both professional and personal benefits when you invest your time and resources into a global supply chain management degree. According to Indeed, the top benefits of this online degree program include:
- Experienced supply chain managers are in high demand. According to the Government of Canada’s Job Bank, the number of job opportunities in the field is expected to increase by more than 8,100 positions by 2031. Your location, however, may determine what positions are available to you. Supply chain managers are expected to be in high demand in places like Alberta, Nova Scotia and Ontario.
- The industry is expected to grow and expand worldwide, particularly as the global economy continues to strengthen and become more interconnected. Experienced supply chain managers who understand more than just the basics of logistics management will be able to pursue job opportunities in Canada and beyond.
- Supply chain managers and logistics professionals can network with business leaders in a wide variety of sectors and industries. Networking in the supply chain industry includes more than just other supply chain managers, as you are often in contact with marketing professionals, suppliers, vendors and production experts.
Prioritize Your Career at NATS
The Global Supply Chain and Logistics Management Online program at North American Trade Schools is designed to help students find success in the global field of logistics, supply chain and operations management. Gain real-world competencies and skills while learning about new and emerging technologies impacting the global supply chain. You’ll also have the option to prepare and sit for the Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association (CIFFA) certification and the Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt certification. Contact us today to learn more.
Are you interested in supply chain logistics courses?
Contact NATS for more information.